Sunday, July 6, 2008

Dekavita C

Suntory's Dekavita C is in the realm of a long line of energy drinks marketed to Japanese consumers largely for hangover cures, but also for getting rid of bags under one's eyes, sexual enhancement and stamina, and God knows what else.  Like all energy drinks, it's basically carbonated sugar water with a few vague herbs or artificial flavors to give one the sense of maybe a bit of healthiness. Dekavita C boasts a number of B vitamins.  Oh, and C.  Tastewise, it's kind of the poor man's Red Bull. Like a light cassis, with a bit of a Robitussen edge, the taste follows through with quininic tannins.  A not entirely pleasant taste.  But remember this is supposed to be good for you.  And the massive jolts of sugar eventually cover up any sort of subtlety in the taste.  
Like many an energy drink Dekavita C capitalizes on the idea that by connecting with the very drink itself, the consumer connects with "energy." And this energy transforms one into... someone better, more appealing, beyond and outside of one' s self. It's a sacrament of shamanic release that let's one partake of the mysteries.  Of transcendence. Traditionally the realm of drugs and alchohol, the energy drink is attempting to usurp these venerable media, these keys to the beyond.  But let's face it.  It's still sugar water.


3 comments:

Willow said...

Everyone has unique tastes so I guess we're just different but I LOVE Dekavita! So much that I'm willing to pay $80 to have it shipped to the CONUS every few months. It worked miracles for my hangovers before I even knew what it was or what the ingredients were. I just tried it b/c I like trying new things... so I gotta say it worked it magic without the placebo effect. Plus, it tastes like liquid Flintstones vitamins... so send me all the bottles you don't want please.

Nicholas Vroman said...

Hello Willow,

Thanks for the comment. I like the note about liquid Flintstones vitamins. I don't begrudge anyone their tastes or desires. Coke has always done fine for my hangovers. But, one's got to take a critical stance. And there's no denying the healing properties of sugar and water.
So, where do I send those bottles of Dekavita?
;)

Kavey said...

I'm with Willow, I much much much prefer the taste of dekavita to RedBull, which is a horrid thing!
I first tried it a few years ago, because my name is Kavita, so it made me smile but I loved the taste immediately.
Didn't know it was sold / marketed as an energy or health drink.